Saturday, November 13, 2010

Inductive Reasoning

The one reasoning that was difficult to understand first was inductive reasoning.   When I first read about it was a difficult subject to grasp.  It took me several times to read it over again, and I was able to comprehend it just a bit more.  Inductive reasoning is when you propose a proposition based off previous observations that were made.  What helped me understand the concept was the example that was given.   The example was made by David Hume:
 Premise: The sun has risen east every morning up until now.
  Conclusion: The sun will also rise in the east tomorrow.
After reading the example I was able to understand inductive reasoning a lot more.  It actually clarified it for me and I was able to comprehend what inductive reasoning was.  I also learned that inductive and deductive reasoning contrast with each other.  Inductive reasoning conclusions contain more information than the premise does.

3 comments:

  1. Although inductive reasoning was not one of the type of reasoning I had trouble with, I think you made a good and clear definition of it. You made the concept of inductive reasoning simpler to understand. Basically inductive reasoning is based off previous observation.
    I thought the example you had provided is also very helpful to understanding inductive reasoning. It was a simple example that got the point and idea of inductive reasoning in a clear way.
    People who did not understand inductive reasoning very well, should definitely read your post to understand the topic better. Good job on clearing up inductive reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem when it comes to understand this type of reasoning, but the post you make is very good. The format is great. It is easy to follow, and it definitely help others to have better understanding about inductive reasoning . When I study about these reasoning, I realize that inductive reasoning is the opposite of deductive. Inductive reasoning goes from particular to general while deductive goes from general to particular. They can be confusing because of the slight differences. This type of reasoning is common, so there are many other resources when we use Google to search for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to go along with what the two people above me have said already. Although I didn't personally choose inductive reasoning, or have a problem with it, I think your blog is perfect for all of those that did. Personally, I think it's a relief when I see a short and concise post compared to a really long one and it's just a huge big paragraph. It makes me not want to read it. But you did a good job saying what inductive reasoning was and explaining the concept. Your description was short and you provided a good example that would help clarify to those that did not understand it as well.

    ReplyDelete