Friday, November 12, 2010

Chapter 12: Interesting Concept


An interesting concept that I found in chapter twelve is section C: Judging Analogies.  The section breaks it down to the reader on how to determine the differences in an analogy and to see if there is a reason that might not apply to the general principle.  In the section it presented different examples to help determine the analysis of the presented example.  The section also has a box that gives seven questions on evaluation an analogy.  The first question when evaluating an analogy; is this an argument? What is the conclusion?, second question: what is the comparison?, third: what are the premises?, fourth: what are the similarities?, fifth: can we state the similarities as premises?, sixth: does the general principle really apply to both sides?, and finally: is the argument strong or valid?  These are just some of the questions that are listed and more can be found in our textbook on page 257.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't really read this part in the book. I read it but i just kinda glanced over it all. I thank your for bringing this up because now I think i'd actually like to read it for my self. Judging seems like a pretty good way to determine if something is right or wrong based on this analogy but kinda like breaking it down. I also like how your even put the page number down in your post. It helps for looking back to the book. I like how you put criteria for judging it down in your post as well. I could look in the book, but why you have it right here in your post. So good job on that. I wish you had an example here to better explain things, but I know nobody wants to write too much so I don't blame you for that. Well keep it up.

    ReplyDelete