Friday, September 3, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

Subjective and objective claims were discussed in chapter 2 of our Critical Thinking textbook.  The author, Richard Epstein, describes a subjective claim is a claim that “invokes personal standards” (Epstein 20).   He also goes on to describe that an objective claim “invokes impersonal standards” (Epstein 20).  A subjective claim I have heard recently was made by my older sister Maria.  We were at work and I walked into the office and she looks up from her desk and tells me, “It’s hot in here.”  The claim is subjective because to her it is hot inside the office; she personally thought it was hot.  I looked at her and shook my head and told her that it was not even close to being hot in the office compared to outside.  An objective claim that I have come across recently was a conversation between me and my friends.  We were discussing some movies that we’ve seen and which ones were our favorites.  I mention that my favorite movie was Goodfellas, and I went on to mention which famous actor was in the movie.  So the objective claim was, “Robert Di Nero is one of the main characters in Goodfellas.”  It’s an objective claim because it does not matter what the other thinks, feels, or believes in.  It won’t matter if they don’t think he was in the movie or feels like he wasn’t a good actor, I stated that he was one of the main characters in the movie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!

    Your introduction is good and helps the reader clearly understand what you are you going to discuss. Your first example is also clear. Everyone can understand that everybody is different and so whether it is hot and not is completely subjective to a person's body and their activity at the time. I know for example when my mom cooks she opens all the windows in our house to let all the steam and smoke out. She is constantly moving and around the hot stove. But my brother and I are either sitting doing homework or watching television so we are always freezing while she feels hot.So we cannot argue as to what the temperature in the room truly feels like if we were all exposed to it differently.
    Thanks for you time!

    ReplyDelete