Friday, September 3, 2010

Interesting Concept

This week’s readings provided a great amount of information about arguments and group communication.  One concept that I have found was in The Essential Guide to Group Communication book.  In chapter two I found that the topic “Avoid Critical Thinking Traps” was extremely useful.  It describes how people can for “common traps that plague group communication.”  Author’s, Dan O’Hair and Mary O. Wiemann, breakdown the four common traps that people usually fall for.  The first trap written is ‘accepting communication at face value,’ which means that people are more likely to accept what is being told to them first.  The second is oversimplifying issues, when there is a problem people tend to figure out a way to make the issue easier rather than actually solving the problem.  Third is ‘making overgeneralizations’, this is when problems are taken out of context and are over the top.  Lastly, is ‘making false assumptions’, this is where people make assumptions that are not valid to the issue.  All four of these traps have helped given me an understanding of how individuals make decisions without actually thinking about it.  It’s helpful to know what to avoid when thinking and it helps me be able to become more skillful when critically thinking. 

- Cali Gurl

1 comment:

  1. I also found "Avoid Critical Thinking Traps" useful and interesting. I myself fall for these common pitfalls a lot. I make decisions a lot based on what people tell me,falling in to the "accepting communication at face vale"slot. I also make false assumptions on stuff a lot. It's habit to assume without really giving it a second thought. I also Oversimplify issues a lot too. Sometimes when the problem is there, we just look at the problem. When the solution can be right in front of us. These tips and advice on critical thinking, surly would help with understanding others decisions and even help make future critical thinking and decisions easier.

    ReplyDelete