Friday, September 10, 2010

The 4 Leadership Roles

A concept this week that I thought would be useful is in our Group Communication textbook.  In chapter 3 it discusses leadership and decision making as a group.   It first explains what leadership is and the different types of leaderships there are in groups.  So, what I have found interesting and what would be useful is to know the different types of leadership roles in groups.  It lists four different types of roles.  The first is authoritarian which is when the leader makes the decisions without anyone’s input.  The second is consultative, which is when the leader bases their decisions off the ideas of fellow group members.  Thirdly is the participative leader who takes over and summarizes decision to make sure everyone is clear and understands.  Lastly there is laissez-faire leadership role which is when there is “little or no direct leadership” in the groups.  The leader takes no part in the group and just stays of the group’s way.  I think all these information is useful, because when we are in groups we can identify the leadership role and figure out how to improve our groups communication with each other.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I also picked this as my interesting concept. I thought it was cool how we learn about different kinds of leadership styles as we start on our group project. I enjoy having everyones input to make a group decision but it does take longer. In my group we are still trying to figure out when our “real time” meeting should be. We communicate with each other just not very rapidly. I always have an email from a group member when I check my inbox. I think we fit into the consultative style because no one can set a time for our meeting until they know everyones schedule. Good luck with your group project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali Gurl-
    First, I wanted to say thanks for posting this blog. It was very helpful and I like how you used simple words to define the different types of leadership roles. On a previous post, one blogger talked about the laiseez-faire leadership role however, they did not define any of the other definitions. I agree with you about how in order to improve group communication; we need to know how to classify ourselves as leaders. With this, we can take the appropriate steps that we as group members need to making the appropriate changes to have a great group experience.

    ReplyDelete