Thursday, October 7, 2010

Chapter Six


Chapter six in our Critical Thinking textbook provided a lot of new information on compound claims.   It goes into detail about how there are two different kinds of compound claims which are: “or” claims and conditionals.   The book defines a compound claim as, “a compound claim is one composed of other claims, but which has to be viewed as just one claim”  So we have previously been introduced to compound claims, but now we are presented with “or” claims.  The word “or” can be used to connect two claims and turn it into a compound.  Another claim that the book presented are conditional claims, which are “if…then…” claims.  Our book shows examples of conditional claims, and example; “Bring me an ice cream cone and I’ll be happy.” It then is a “if…then…” claim because if you take your friend the ice cream, then they will be happy.  It takes awhile to understand these claims, but the textbook examples help out a lot to make sense of them.

3 comments:

  1. Cali Gurl,
    Thanks for posting this blog! I read a previous post where the blogger chose the same subject and I must say that your blog definitely helped reinforce everything that I had learned on my own and what I had learned from the previous blog. Everything in your post made sense; everything was clear, concise, and easy to understand. I also liked how you gave examples and went into detail after explaining how each example worked and whether or not it was correct. I just wanted to say thanks for posting this blog and I look forward to reading your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before reading ramyad’s comment I was going to say the exact same thing! I read quite a few posts about compound claims and I believe that yours definitely took a different approach that was more interesting to read. I really liked how you explained the “or” and “if” claims. The explanations that you gave helped to strengthen my knowledge on these concepts. I agree with you in that it can take a while to understand these claims but your post made things a lot clearer. I will definitely be reading more of your posts in the future because you seem to take a different approach to concepts in the chapter which makes reading your posts more interesting. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I liked your post. Reading your post made it even more easier to understand what I read in chapter 6. Your post was very useful and could really help someone who did not understand the reading understand it. I like the examples you gave. I liked how you explained the or and if claims. When I read it the first time myself it was kind of had to understand. After reading your post it helped me understand more clearly. You gave good examples that were clear. Unlike the book you did not try and talk about to much at one time. Thank You

    ReplyDelete